There is probably one ‘must have’ iPhone app in Korea and that app is Kakao Talk. Available for both iPhone and Android, Kakao Talk allows users to send and receive messages, photos and videos in place of SMS and MMS messages.
Recently Kakao Talk made a breakthrough and hit the number of 20 million users. Considering the fact that the population of Korea is a little over 50 million, and the number of distributed cell phones being 50 million, hitting the 20 million Kakao Talk user mark is quite meaningful.
It is truly an amazing result.
Here are some features of KaKap Talk:
1. Local Language Support in English, Japanese and Korean: KakaoTalk is currently available in English, Japanese and Korean.
2. Finding a Friend with Name: You can find your friends by searching their names in Friends menu.
3. Registering Favorite Friends: You can register favorite friends so that you can easily locate them in Friends menu.
4. Group Chatting with As Many Friends You Want: KakaoTalk allows you to enjoy not only one-to-one chats but also group chats.
5. Sharing Multimedia: Texting is only a start! You can send, view and share pictures and videos that you select from your existing album or right after taking them. You can also send contact numbers at your phone address book.
6. Finding Chat Friends Automatically: You do not need to manually register your friends to chat as KakaoTalk finds and registers them automatically using phone numbers at your contacts.
7. Finding Friends with KakaoTalk IDs: Even if you do not know your friends’ phone numbers, you can add them to your Friends List by just knowing their IDs.